Arnold is a global illumination system incorporating modern ray tracing and physically based shading techniques. Arnold offers greater speed, more power and higher quality. This gives studios using Arnold a distinct competitive advantage – especially in big-budget productions.
Over the past few years, Arnold has been used to create unique visual effects in major VFX feature films, animated features, and high-end commercial projects. Sony Pictures Imageworks was the catalyst for the professional adoption of the product and will use Arnold in all upcoming films.
- Improved the scene exporting time with light associations.
- and token tag support added to sib_image_clip
- sta_vector_displacement shader added. This shader has support for tangent-space vector displacement.
This is meant to supercede and replace the old sta_displacement shader, which is now deprecated.
- 25% faster bump mapping (less shader evaluations per call).
- Faster ray acceleration structure build (30-80%, depending on platform and compiler).
- Several other speed and memory optimizations.
- Auto-instancing of standins whose “Path” attribute points to an .ass file; subsequent standins trying to load the
same .ass file will instance the previously loaded geometry, potentially saving tons of both memory and disk I/O.